Sunday, April 6, 2014

Hs Week 2

Week 2
                This week was strange for me and all throughout this week I’ve been debating with myself whether I wanted to discuss the content of the classes or some things I’ve learned about myself as a person that may come into play when I am a teacher. I’ll write about both as I think they are both important but I’ll start with the latter of the two options.
                So going into school this week me and Cindy had a chance to mingle with some of the other teachers. Some of them were awesome, some not so much. I wouldn’t begin to say anything about any of their teaching performances, I haven’t seen them in action and even if I did let’s face it I’m so low on the totem pole it would be asinine to make any sort of negative judgments. What I will say is I met one teacher who I thought was a genuinely great guy who made an effort to make me and Cindy feel welcome in this school. We saw him teach our cooperating teachers class, as she had to attend a student teacher meeting, and honestly I can’t speak more highly of this man. The way he walked into a classroom that he had not established a community in and engaged the students was incredible. I think that speaks miles to his skills as an educator and as someone who makes a point of knowing not only his students, but also the students of his school.
                There was another teacher who was, unfortunately, slightly weird/inappropriate towards me and Cindy. I will not say much about him other than that he honestly made me feel uncomfortable to be around. It is what it is and the good of this week largely outweighed the bad.
                That being said I happened upon the school early enough to have to be part of the pledge of allegiance. I’m not wholly against the concept of it, but I myself don’t feel comfortable taking part in it. It got me thinking about my place in the school system and what it will be like when I run my own classroom. I felt I had to take part in it during my stay in someone else’s class, I don’t want to make waves, but in my own classroom I don’t want to have to do it. That got me thinking about the nature of it. Am I there to set a good example? I mean partly the reason I went ahead with it while I’m a guest in someone’s class room is because I feel I have to set an example for the actions the teacher/school want performed. That being said I myself don’t believe in it and, if I’m going to speak honesty, find the idea of watching a bunch of children recite something in unison kind of creepy. I don’t think I have an answer to any of these questions, but it is something to consider when I’m planning out what school community I want to be a part of when I’m looking for potential jobs.

                Well that’s probably enough heavy discussions for one blog post. Time for what I saw in the classrooms. So the train of progress seems to be moving pretty steadily. I’m still not sure where I can find my openings to become a larger part of the classroom dynamic, but I’ve been more motivated to look. We have the two classrooms that we will be focusing on. They’re reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is great, I love that book. We’re still formulating ideas as to what we want to teach with them. I’m been thinking of a few ideas, something involving memoir and recap. I’m not sure though. Right now I’m starting to consider what I want them to get out of this book, during this lesson, and that is proving an interesting challenge. The book is largely about relationships and what they mean, how they are different, but it is also about memoir in some ways. This class is primarily focuses on writing so I’d like to focus the lesson around that.
                The other two classes (I’m observing four but two of them are doing the same thing) are a junior level class and a senior level class. I witnessed some great mediation of what could have ended up being an incident in the junior class. One student had a moment where she could potentially have had an episode in class. The teacher expertly handled the situation by removing her from the class (a negative stimulation) and talking to her one on one. The students were mature enough to keep working while the teacher talked with her and gave her some alone time to mellow out and return to class. Sometimes I get anxious and think that all time has to be strictly about learning and this was important for me to see. That student would have learned nothing in that class, in my opinion, in that state she was in. Sometimes facilitating learning is just as important, if not more important, that the actual learning. You have to build a bridge to education otherwise most of the content will end up drowning in the river along the way.
                I spoke briefly about how I am in two classes that are doing the same content. It is still crazy to me how differently they behave. One class has such low energy, but have no behavioral issues. The teacher tells them to do something and they do it, no questions. The other is livelier, but it is mostly to goof off. A lot of the students seem like their primary interest is looking good, or being a class clown and disruptive, but they seem like good kids for the most part.

                I guess my biggest concern is I want to be a bigger part of the classroom. This week the students should be starting to write more. I think that is the opening I’m looking for. 

4 comments:

  1. Joey, this was a deep and thoughtful blog post. I love that you hit on such a range of topics. As far as professionalism goes with your colleagues, there will be good and bad. You'll have the inside scoop once you're student teaching, and be able to judge whom it's wise to hang out with and who is not.
    As far as the Pledge, you don't have to say it, but definitely stand with your gaze to the flag when you're in that situation, as I'm sure you know how to do. Once you feel safe and secure in your own classroom, you'll have to think about that practice and what it means to you to resist passively or actively. that's a big bear to poke in some communities--in others, it's little more than a ritual that no one pays attention to.
    And student well-being always, always, ALWAYS comes before learning. I'm glad you got to see this incident, because there was clearly some good modeling going on there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honesty, Joey. I like that you are learning things about yourself as a person and a future teacher. Also, I like that you discussed good and bad feelings you had about certain teachers. Unfortunately, there will always be peers that you will love to work with and that you will have to really put forth an effort to work with. Some people are inappropriate in work environments, but I feel that the good and appropriate will always prevail. You have to be confident in the good and seek it out. I am glad that you were exposed now before you begin student teaching--you have plenty of time to think and flesh out how you can handle that situation in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your focus is on getting into the students head and being able to converse with them. This is something I feel you get with practice over time. For me personally I like to listen to what students are saying to each other or see what they are writing and connect to it in a way. This way you are not asking the student to open up first as you have already shown a little of yourself. I guess the phrase is"you gotta give a little to get a little."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you addressed a really complex issue through something seemingly not that complex: the Pledge of Allegiance. It's interesting, isn't it? What exactly is the role of the teacher? Guide or propulsion? Role model or model for a role (I hope that makes sense)?

    It's an interesting position. The only thing I can say is "trust yourself." You'll know if and when to climb that hill. There are a lot of factors in this, and in other similar positions, so trust yourself to make a wise decision. It's the best you can hope for.

    ReplyDelete